Summer is a time for love. In historic Laurel, Maryland, you’ll find elegance, relaxation, and the space to center all your energy on your loved one. After booking a stay at the local bed and breakfast, you can pack your weekend with delicious meals, fun shopping adventures, and beautiful strolls in nature.
Plan your perfect romantic getaway with this itinerary:
- Stay in an elegant room. Book a stay at the Laurel Manor House Bed and Breakfast, where you can rest your head in one of the private upstairs rooms in the 19th-century home. Sit in a rocking chair on the front porch, hear a tune on the baby grand piano, or rest in front of the fireplace.
- Start with a hearty breakfast. Stop by the Dutch Country Farmer’s Market and get a breakfast made from scratch from Lantz Restaurant. Try the French toast, made from homemade bread, or the Dutchman’s special, which includes creamed beef on toast.
- Experience local history. The “It’s All Laurel: City Limits and Beyond” exhibit at the Laurel Museum explores the strength of the communities in the city, from Scaggsville to Russett to Bacontown. It dives into the historic African American influences and the breadth of the city — geographically, demographically, and historically.
- Caffeinate and people watch. Grab a coffee from More than Java Cafe and sit outside on the sidewalk as you sip your beverage. If coffee isn’t your thing, ask for one of their house-made smoothies. The Green Machine has kale, pineapple, banana, and ginger.
- Take a leisurely hike. Walk the Cash Lake Loop Trail, considered an easy route that takes just over a half hour to complete. The 1.8-mile loop is popular for spotting birds and wildlife, so bring your binoculars.
- Shop for your dream home. Stop by McLean and Tircuit to browse the home goods in this shop curated by Sheryl T. McLean, the first Black woman to earn a Master’s Degree in architecture at UCLA.
- Tap into your spiritual side. The Crystal Fox, a metaphysical supply store in downtown Laurel, offers books, incense, crystals, and advice on getting in touch with this corner of the spiritual world.
- Dine in style. Order the French rack of lamb, grilled salmon, or shrimp kabobs at Olive on Main, a cozy, chic Mediterranean-inspired restaurant in downtown Laurel. Add a house cocktail or a glass of wine to your meal to boost the romance.
Try these three staycations for more weekend getaways in Prince George’s.