Winter break is a time for extra family adventure. However, without a bit of planning, it can turn into a lot of time stuck inside the house. In Prince George’s County, there are enough family-friendly spots to make the season a joy for everyone.
Explore the county as a family with these seven winter-break activities:
- Boost your kids’ space knowledge by heading to the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt. Explore the universe through the heliophysics exhibit, which reveals all the ways our Sun impacts the solar system, or the space communications and navigation exhibit, where kids learn how to send messages through space without interference.
- Get up close and personal with a live animal show at the Watkins Nature Center in Upper Marlboro. On December 28, 2022, you and the family can meet and learn about the center’s live birds of prey at the “All About Raptors” show. Discover how these birds live, where they build their homes, and how they hunt.
- Hit the sledding hills across the county. The College Heights Secondary school offers a moderate slope for sled riders, and sleds at the hill at Riversdale House Mansion will catch a little extra speed. If you’re looking for a steep hill with major thrills, head to Rainbow park.
- Older kids with a penchant for board games will love spending the day at The Board and Brew. Visitors can enjoy a snack or meal from the café’s premium menu while they play one of the over 700 games available to borrow from the game library.
- Jump into the past at the Mount Calvert Historical & Archaeological Park in Upper Marlboro. This National Park Service National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom site offers a look into Maryland’s history, and visitors can see history being uncovered by archaeologists who are working on an active excavation.
- Get jumping at Launch in Capitol Heights. This trampoline park offers more than just trampolines. It’s home to a ninja course, zipline, rocks wall, arcade, and massive foam pit — along with a dedicated toddler time on Fridays.
- The Rollingcrest-Chillum Splash Pool is open year-round for family water adventures. The indoor pool and splash pad have everything a kid needs for some wet-and-wild fun: water slides, pools that wind along the space, and exciting spray chutes.
The fun doesn’t need to stop when school starts again. Check out more family-friendly experiences in Prince George’s County here.