Nestled in Upper Marlboro is a 49,000-square-foot exhibit space that has supported the region’s love of horses since the mid-18th century. The Prince George’s Equestrian Center and Show Place Arena is an adaptable facility, and it has hosted basketball tournaments, cheer and dance events, consumer shows, concerts, and the Prince George’s County Fair. At its heart, however, is its equestrian events.
Horse lovers from across the country come to the arena for events all year in breed show, carriage driving, dressage, hunter/jumper, mounted games, open shows, saddle seat, and western shows.
Here are some events at the epic arena:
- In August, you can join the community for two weekends of the Black-Eyed Susan (BEST) Horse Show Series. On August 5, 6, 19, and 20, MHSA Regional and Unrated Classes will lead to the area for Hunter/Jumper shows, with prizes given out for various challenges.
- On August 27, the STAND Foundation will be bringing its Fun in the Sun event to the area. The day of play, fun, laughter, and unity will include wellness demonstrations, pony rides, horse sports, and field games. The joyful afternoon is family-friendly and free for children under five.
- Take in three rings of action over three days at the 2023 Colonial Classic from August 31 through September 3. There will be multiple competitions, chances to see other participants, and social events.
- Don’t miss the Maryland Horse and Pony Show at the erna from September 12–17. It’s a chance to see some of the best equestrians in the region show off their skill and talents.
- The Bill Pickett Invitational Rodeo is a celebration of Black cowboys and cowgirls. It highlights their contributions to the western expansion of the nation and spotlights stories of this past and present subculture.
- Join the crowds at the Capital Challenge Horse Show from September 28–October 8. With multiple rings and many days of events, you can catch a sight of some of the best established and up-and-coming equestrians.
- The tremendous Washington International Horse Show is coming to The Show Place Arena from October 23–29. Outside of the array of competition events, there will be activities and special events throughout the week. Attend the western-themed Barn Night celebration on October 26. Get discounted tickets for Military and First Responder Night on October 27. Enjoy pony rides, crafting kits, and face painting during Kids’ Day on October 28.
To get behind a horse yourself, book a weekend of carriage rides and wine in Prince George’s.