March is the perfect month to dive into the springtime activities in Prince George’s. You can indulge in the arts, take in a sports game, or experience the great outdoors — all as the weather starts to brighten and the sun starts to shine.
Check out one of these March events and activities:
- Visit the Soft Tissues exhibit in the Lab Gallery at the Brentwood Art Exchange. It amplifies the legitimacy of textile art for both conservation and enjoyment. Walk through these personal art pieces that promote textiles as a storytelling mechanism.
- Plan a picnic at Fort Washington Park, where 341 acres of green space along the Potomac river has been protected for hiking, birding, fishing, and playing. Pair your meal with a walk through the historic 19th-century masonry fort, the oldest and best preserved in the region.
- Visit the in-house artist studios at Pyramid Atlantic Art Center in the Gateway Arts District, like screen printer and illustrator Chelsae Blackman, mixed media artist Cynthia Farrell Johnson, and book artist Marty Elizabeth Watson.
- Get an up-close-and-personal look at an airport at the Trekking the Tarmac: Tourism of the College Park Airport event on March 4. You’ll be able to walk the runway, learn about the spot’s many “firsts,” and discover what’s happening today at the oldest continuously operated airport in the world.
- Cheer on the University of Maryland men’s baseball team in College Park. The Terrapins are playing throughout the month at the Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium.
- Take advantage of free tours at the Montpelier House Museum on March 26. The event commemorates the landing of The Arc and The Dove, ships with Maryland colonists, in 1634.
- Join archeologists at Mount Calvert Historical and Archaeological Park for a hands-on learning experience like no other. Handle authentic artifacts discovered in the county, including ancient stone tools, Native American pottery, and colonial ceramics.
- Watch AFROFUTURA: Loop 2: Fashion and Future, a series of films, documentaries, and animations focused on unique narratives in science fiction, Afrofuturism, fantasy, speculative fiction, culture, and music. The event on March 19 will be held at the Prince George’s Publick Playhouse.
- Get the whole family moving at a Family Fitness event on March 14. Head to the Glenn Dale Community Center for a class that will meet the needs of all participants.
Check out more events in Prince George’s for this month and beyond.