Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by an act of the Maryland
General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres. Fort Lincoln Cemetery
was named after Fort Lincoln which strategically protected the nation’s
capitol during the Civil War. Fort Lincoln became the headquarters for the
Second Pennsylvania Veteran Heavy Artillery. Men from this unit staffed
Battery Jameson. The historic marker for the Battle of Bladensburg can be
found behind the mausoleum of this cemetery.