Field of Grass and Flowers

Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness

7606 Woodyard Road
Clinton, MD 20735
(301) 856-0358
Visit Website
  • Details

    Owned and operated by the John M. and Sara R. Walton Foundation, Inc., Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness is one of three structures in Prince George’s County designated as National Historic Landmarks. Originally named “Poplar Hill,” its present name is derived from a 7,000-acre land grand from Charles Calvert, the third Lord Baltimore, to Col. Henry Darnall in 1703. The current mansion was built between 1785 and 1787 by the colonel’s great-grandson, Robert Darnall. He replaced the earlier residence of his father, Henry Darnall III, with this beautiful Georgian home. Since its construction, Poplar Hill has been home to many families, including the Darnalls, the Sewalls, the Daingerfelds, U.S. Senator John S. and Susan Daingerfeld Barbour, the Hales, the Dunhams, U.S. Ambassador David Bruce and his wife, Evangeline Bruce, the Sayers, and the last owners, the Walton family. Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness is an institution within a community that reflects the human spirit and the history of nation within the telling of stories about families, both black and white, from the late 17th century through the time of 20th century. Poplar Hill is currently closed.