Field of Grass and Flowers

Riversdale House Museum

4811 Riverdale Road
Riverdale, MD 20737
(301) 864-0420
Visit Website
  • Details

    Riversdale, a National Historic Landmark, was begun in 1801 by Henri Joseph Stier, a wealthy Belgian immigrant. After his return to Europe, his daughter, Rosalie, and her husband, George Calvert, made it their home. Mrs. Calvert’s correspondence tells the story of this family and their elegant Federal style home. The household and property, once more than 700 acres, was a large farm supported by domestic servants and enslaved workers. Tours of the site incorporate women’s, African American, University of Maryland, and War of 1812 history.

  • Facilities
    Facility Info
    Meeting Rooms
    • Description Riversdale was one of the most distinctive homes in the region during the early Federal period. Today, the central portion of the house serves as a museum interpreting the lifestyle of an affluent family. The rental areas include a large carpeted ballroom in late 19th century decor as well as a smaller meeting/banquet room and catering kitchen.
    • Number of Rooms 2
    East Wing
    • Total Sq. Ft.: 391
    • Width: 23
    • Length: 17
    • Theater Capacity: 75
    • Banquet Capacity: 50
    Ballroom - West Wing
    • Total Sq. Ft.: 741
    • Width: 39
    • Length: 19
    • Theater Capacity: 75
    • Banquet Capacity: 50