Field of Grass and Flowers

Saint Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church

6634 St. Barnabas Road
Oxon Hill, MD 20745
(301) 567-4433
Visit Website
  • Details

    St. Paul’s is thought to be he oldest black congregation in Prince George’s County. The original church was constructed in 1888. In 1915, the present sanctuary, a small front gabled building with pointed arch towers and a three-story corner tower, was built. The original church was destroyed in the 1920s and replaced by a series of church additions. The church’s congregation preceded the construction in 1888. Traveling clerics in the late 18th century preached to a group of freed blacks in Oxon Hill who had built their own meetinghouse. This group is believed to have a connection to the African American Methodist congregation that in 1867 acquired the land on which St. Paul’s was built.