Since 1921, St. Mark’s Methodist Episcopal Church has served as a landmark
within the city of Laurel. The history of the congregation dates back to
1891 when James Hebron and two other black Methodists purchased the land
for the church. The frame of the church sat across the street from the
Laurel Colored School, which was constructed in 1884. St. Mark’s has served
an active congregation since it’s founding, and represents the religious
center for a long-standing black community.