Celebrating the cinematic arts means bolstering filmmakers, providing platforms to showcase new films, and creating positive networking environments. At the annual Prince George’s Film Festival, those opportunities abound. Presented by the Prince George’s Arts and Humanities Council and the Prince George’s Film Office, in partnership with Bowie State University and Experience Prince George’s, the festival highlights the work of up-and-coming and established independent filmmakers. It is dedicated to showcasing the best cinema in the region — and you can be part of the epic event. Over four days, from September 28 through October 1, the film community will come together for panel discussions, film screenings, student programs, and creative workshops.
To ensure everyone in the region can participate, the festival will take place across Prince George’s, from Largo to National Harbor to Bowie. It will also host virtual film screenings throughout the festival.
The schedule is packed with opportunities for growth and discovery.
On Thursday, September 28, an opening reception will kick-off at Prince George’s Community College, including a screening of “The Deadly Getaway” and a conversation with the film’s cast and crew.
On Friday, September 29, there will be panel discussions, trailers, promo screenings, and an evening networking reception at the Sunset Room in National Harbor. National Harbor will also be home to an evening art event, titled NIGHTSCAPE: A Digital Visual Arts & Sound Experience.
On Saturday, September 30, there will be workshops, panel discussions, in-person screenings, and an evening networking reception at the Fine & Performing Arts Center at Bowie State.
On Sunday, October 1, MGM National Harbor Ballroom will host a closing reception brunch and awards ceremony.
Here are five of the many sessions available to you when you join the festival:
- Look into the worlds of directors and producers and decide whether you have what it takes in the field. At a session on The Fundamentals of Directing & Producing, you’ll learn from experienced professionals about creating a film career.
- Learn how to best publicize your film in a session on Marketing Your Film: Creating a Following, where you’ll dig into the best practices for using social media and other marketing tools.
- Determine whether acting is your calling at the Actors Study: An Actors Intensive Course Study workshop. From scene study to production, experts will cover the good, bad, and ugly of the career.
- Connect fashion, film, and culture in the Film and Fashion: Costume Designer & Wardrobe, From Sketch to Screen session. You’ll hear a panel of leaders in fashion, costume design, and filmmaking as they share their vision of developing apparel and accessories for the big screen.
- Filmmaking requires funding, and the Making Money Moves: Gotta Get That Cash session will host a discussion on innovative ways to raise funding to finance your creative project.
Get your tickets now for this rousing four-day film festival.
Once you’ve experienced this epic event, discover other art-centric activities in Prince George’s.