Hot days call for cool treats. There’s nothing better than licking an ice cream cone, digging a spoon into a banana split, or sipping a milkshake while the sun is shining down on you. The ice cream shops in Prince George’s serve up refreshing treats by the dozens.
Try one of these 10 spots in the region:
- Hovermale’s Tastes Best has been serving classic chocolate and vanilla soft-serve cones, handmade shakes, and upside-down banana splits since 1954. Stop by the Fort Washington location for a nostalgic trip to your childhood.
- There’s something for every sugar lover at the Savannah Candy Kitchen in National Harbor. Pop over to the shop to combine candied nuts, pralines, and sweet popcorn with a scoop of ice cream.
- Inside the Stamp Student Union at the University of Maryland in College Park, there’s an ice cream spot that’s popular with more people than just students. Maryland Dairy serves handcrafted ice cream by the scoop in a cup or cone, by the pint, or mixed into floats and shakes. Try the Fear the Turtle flavor, packed with white chocolate, salted pecans, caramel, and triple sec.
- For the last 21 years, the Ice Cream Sweet Shop in Temple Hills has been a certified Hershey’s Ice Cream dealer. You’ll find 48 flavors stocked inside, including sugar-free ice cream, that you can pair with funnel cakes, fried Oreos, and other sweets.
- Find out where the Lickity Split ice cream truck is parked for the day and enjoy a sweet treat from this family-owned business. They’ll serve you ice cream in butter pecan, cookie dough, strawberry, and more.
- Head to Temple Hills to sample handmade ice cream and popsicles from Palateria La Zacatecana. Try the El Tigre, a layered mix of vanilla, chocolate, and butterscotch.
- Enjoy a modern take on ice cream with a rolled ice cream treat from Panda Tea House in National Harbor. Top it off with a variety of extras, including cookies, candy, fruit, or whipped cream.
- Serve yourself at the Sweet Frog in Oxon Hill, where you can find sugar-free, dairy-free, nonfat, or typical dairy soft-serve ice cream. Top it off with dozens of extras, from cereal, nuts, sauces, candies, and chocolates.
- Sit outside as you enjoy a scoop or two from Bruster’s Real Ice Cream in Bowie. Try an apple dumpling sundae or bring the little ones to enjoy a Kid’s Dino Sundae, topped off with a green dinosaur-shaped sugar cookie. There are also non-dairy and sugar-free options available.
- Huoey’s Shaved Ice offers up authentic southern shaved ice, either left dairy-free or topped with cream. Try a suggested combination or create one of your own.
Pair your ice cream with a carry-out meal at one of these Prince George’s spots.