The smell. The flavor. The feeling. Certain foods bring you back home — and the chefs in Prince George’s have figured out the formula to get you there. Whether you want to dig into veg-centered versions of your favorite comforts, satisfy your sweet tooth with a hometown-style pie, or take a swig of a locally brewed beer, you’ll find it in the region.
Check out these nine spots with plates that will have you doing that happy dance at the dining table:
- Nothing says comfort like a pizza. Anthony’s NY Pizza and Pasta House in Bowie has been sending out pies from its family-friendly restaurant for over 20 years. Stop by for a hand-tossed pizza, buffalo chicken salad, baked ziti, and more.
- 5 Sisters Restaurant in Laurel serves authentic African cuisine. Sample dishes from different nations while you’re there: fufu from Ghana, aticke from Sierra Leone, or oha from Nigeria.
- Indulge in Jamaican chicken patties, fried plantains, jerk BBQ wings, curried red snapper, and more at Caribbean Grill in District Heights, Hyattsville, or Landover. Made with the best produce and a touch of the island, these plates serve up flavor and joy.
- Head to Mush, inside the Mixt Food Hall in Brentwood, for vegan versions of the foods you know and love. Chow down on their version of mac and cheese: mush and cheese. Or try Izzit Tenders, made from fried oysters.
- The chef at Shortcake Bakery in Hyattsville hails from Trinidad and is the child of bakers. She offers scones, turnovers, pies, pound cakes, brownies, and more to satisfy sweet tooths in Maryland. For a savory treat, you can pick up a quiche, Jamaican beef patty, or curry chicken patty.
- Not all comfort food sticks to tried-and-true recipes. At Uncaged Chefs in District Heights, you’ll get a menu unlike any other. Order Trap Tacos filled with chicken alfredo, Fried Chicken & French Toast Waffle drizzled with Henny Drip Icing, or Henny Mumbo Fried Chicken piled atop French fries.
- Try a modern spin on soul food at Everlasting Life Restaurant & Lounge in Capitol Heights. Everything on the menu uses plant-based ingredients, from the fried chicken to the collard greens to the potato salad. The restaurant also hosts a weekly Sunday brunch.
- Sometimes comfort food requires a comfort drink to go along with it. When you visit Franklins in Hyattsville, you’ll be able to pair your Maryland Crab Dip or Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili with beer brewed in-house on a 10-barrel Bohemian Brewing Company system.
- Jasper’s in Largo had home on the mind when it created its “Down Home” Chesapeake Fried Chicken Sandwich. Order it during happy hour and you’ll also get deals on New Orleans spiced shrimp and spicy cod tacos.
A delicious meal is never far away when you’re in Prince George’s. Check out this list of more hot spots to try.
Be sure to confirm hours of operation before visiting each location.