Built in 1796, the Adelphi Mill is Prince George’s County’s only surviving
historic mill. It is the oldest and largest mill in the Washington area.
The Scholfield brothers built the mill in 1796, and it was later owned and
operated by George Washington Riggs. The two-story, rustic stone building
features a pine interior with hardwood floors and is situated in a lovely
park setting. Small stone storehouse built into slope on nopposite side of
road. Brothers Scholfield built mill on Adelphi tract, later owned and
operated by George Washington Riggs, founder of Riggs banking house, now
owned by M-NCPPC.