Located in historic Old Bowie, the station was relocated from its original
site across the railroad tracks and restored in the 1990s. The Baltimore
and Potomac Railroad Company built the first station in 1872 at the
junction of rail lines into Washington, DC, and southern Maryland. The
lines were later integrated into the Pennsylvania Railroad Company system.
The Town of Bowie (originally Huntington City) grew up around the train
station. The existing museum buildings were constructed in the early 1900s,
but closed in 1989. The Railroad Museum is supported by the City of Bowie
and the Huntington Heritage Society.