The historic marker for the Battle of Bladensburg can be found behind the
mausoleum of this cemetery. Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by
an act of the Maryland General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres.
Fort Lincoln Cemetery was named after Fort Lincoln which strategically
protected the nation’s capitol during the Civil War. Fort Lincoln became
the headquarters for the Second Pennsylvania Veteran Heavy Artillery. Men
from this unit staffed Battery Jameson.