c. 1760, 2 1/2 story side-gabled brick structure with two-story porch, and
rear wing of frame construction. Built originally as a store, part of
commercial complex including tavern and blacksmith shop; served as tavern
from mid-19th to mid-20th century. This old building, dating back to 1732,
was once an inn along a major north-south route in the town of Bladensburg,
Maryland. It was reported to be a stopover for George Washington when
travelling between his Mount Vernon home and Philadelphia or New York.