c. 1740 and late 18th century, complex three-part brick structure,
incorporating early 18th-century gambrel-roof dwelling; rebuilt after 1931
fire, and recently renovated as a country inn; historic outbuildings
include stable and greenhouse. Home of Calvert family during Provincial
period, later frequently visited by George Washington; in this century,
home of Matilda R. Duvall and Eleanor “Cissy” Patterson. The original part
of the house was built as a hunting lodge by Charles Calvert, the Third
Lord Baltimore, when he came from England around 1660. The dwelling then
consisted of one 50 foot room with fireplaces on each end. This room is one
of the loveliest in the house, which now consists of 13 large rooms.
Parties, great and small, weddings, births, deaths, visits from seven
Presidents all have left their mark, leaving a wonderful feeling of
expectancy to the lovely old home.