Field of Grass and Flowers

Ridgely Methodist Episcopal Church

8900 Central Ave
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
(301) 925-7599
  • Details

    Ridgely Church is a one-story, front gabled structure with pointed-arch windows with commemorative stained glass. It is bordered by a small graveyard with handsome primitively carved stones. The present building was constructed in 1921 to replace the original church founded by Lewis Ridgely in 1871 that was destroyed by fire. Lewis Ridgely was one of three original church trustees. Succeeding generations of Ridgelys remained active in the church and community. In order to accommodate the widening of Central Avenue in the late 1980s, the church was moved a short distance north, renovated and stabilized.