Riversdale, a National Historic Landmark, is a restored, five-part,
stucco-covered brick plantation home built between 1801 and 1807.
Construction of this elegant manor house was begun for Henri Stier, a
Flemish aristocrat, and was completed by his daughter Rosalie and her
husband, George Calvert, grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore. The mansion
blends both Flemish and American architectural styles and has particularly
fine interior plaster detail. The site is also home to a gift shop.
DescriptionRiversdale was one of the most distinctive homes in the region during the early Federal period. Today, the central portion of the house serves as a museum interpreting the lifestyle of an affluent family. The rental areas include a large carpeted ballroom in late 19th century decor as well as a smaller meeting/banquet room and catering kitchen.