The Crown Jewel of Maryland shines particularly bright at its sparkling ice rinks. From family-friendly lessons to drop-in games for expert hockey players, you can easily find the session that perfectly fits your experience level.
Strap on your skates — or rent some while you’re there — and glide along the glistening ice at one of these five arenas:
- The Gardens Ice House truly has it all. You can ice skate at one of the three massive rinks, read in the library by the fireplace, sign up for a youth hockey team, and book a room for a birthday party. If you’re a little nervous to strap on skates, you can even jump over to the National Capital Curling Center to try your hand at the sport instead.
- The community-focused Tucker Road Ice Rink is a great place to learn if you’re a new skater. There are many private and group lessons for ice skating and hockey offered, along with skate rentals and open-skate sessions.
- Take advantage of two-for-one Tuesdays at the Bowie Ice Arena to get more bang for your buck as you skate along the same ice as the location’s figure skating and hockey teams. The arena has been open for over 50 years, but, rest assured, it’s been updated many times.
- Head to the Capital Clubhouse Recreation Center with your family for themed public skate sessions, Totsicles sessions for kids aged 2–5, and learn-to-skate programs specifically for children who are homeschooled.
- Bring your own skates or rent some at the Herbert Wells Ice Rink for their public skate or freestyle sessions. If you’re looking for a more competitive experience, join one of the many youth or adult pick-up hockey games at the rink.
If you’re not ready to let go of the winter-wonderland experience after your skating session, try one of these cold-weather activities in Prince George’s County.
Please confirm the hours of operation with each business or venue.