National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation’s historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archeological resources.
It recognizes districts, buildings, structures, objects, and sites for their significance in American history, archeology, architecture, engineering, or culture, and identifies them as worthy of preservation. Properties, sites and landmarks listed encompass a wide array of types and periods, ranging from prehistoric archeological sites, historic buildings, rural landscapes, bridges, and urban and suburban neighborhoods.
The National Register is a program of the U. S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, and is administered at the State level by the Maryland Historical Trust.
Special activities, programs, and events are held at our Historic sites throughout the year.
NATIONAL HISTORIC PLACES
NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARKS
NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICTS
NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICTS | NOMINATED COMMUNITIES
University Park Boundary Expansion
The Town of University Park Boundary Expansion adds 376 contributing mid-20th century buildings to a historic district originally listed in the National Register in 1996 for its significance as an early 20th century automobile suburb. The recent project was requested by the Town of University Park as part of celebrations of the 75th anniversary of the Town’s incorporation.
College Heights Estates Historic District
The College Heights Estates Historic District was requested by the College Heights Estates Association (CHEA) in order to recognize the mid-20th century automobile suburb partially located within the Town of University Park and in an adjacent area of unincorporated Hyattsville. The district includes 170 contributing, single-family dwellings of both traditional American and European architectural styles as well as houses that reflect the evolution of American domestic architecture after World War II.
Old Town College Park Historic District
The Old Town College Park Historic District includes 213 contributing properties that reflect the development of a late 19th century railroad and streetcar community in proximity to the University of Maryland campus. The historic district includes single-family dwellings, apartments, institutional buildings and fraternities and sororities constructed from 1889-1965. The area of the National Register district was designated as a Prince George’s County historic district in 2008.
Upper Marlboro Residential Area Historic District
The Upper Marlboro Residential Area Historic District includes 79 contributing properties that reflect the evolution of domestic construction in the County seat from 1721-1960. The district includes several important late 18th and mid 19th century dwellings, a historic Episcopal church from the first half of the 19th century, a historic African-American Methodist Church associated with a congregation established just after the Civil War, several cemeteries and burial grounds, and a number of early and mid-20th century, single-family dwellings.
Early Family Historic District
The Early Family Historic District in Brandywine includes four late-19th and early-20th century single-family dwellings and a large commercial building (c. 1872) associated with several generations of the Early family, whose members were instrumental in settling and developing this crossroads village after the Civil War.
Piscataway Village Historic District
The Piscataway Village Historic District, located at the intersection of Livingston Road and Floral Park Road in southwestern Prince George’s County, includes 25 properties and is significant as one of the County’s early settlements focused on tobacco and related commerce.
Fairmount Heights Historic District
The Fairmount Heights Historic District, which includes more than 500 buildings, is significant as one of the earliest efforts at community development by and for African Americans in Prince George’s County. Successful endeavors of the town’s citizens include the erection of a town hall in 1908 and the construction of the first African-American public elementary school in Prince George’s County in 1912.
St. Thomas Episcopal Parish Historic District
The St. Thomas Episcopal Parish Historic District includes approximately 44 acres that encompass four county designated historic sites: St. Thomas Episcopal Church & Cemetery, Old St. Thomas Episcopal Church Rectory, Croom Industrial and Agricultural School/Croome Settlement School, and St. Simon’s Mission Chapel Site and Cemetery. In addition to its significance as a center of religious activity in southern Prince George’s County, the historic district’s inclusion of the St. Simon’s Mission Chapel site (demolished c. 1972), its remaining cemetery, and the Croom Industrial and Agricultural School/Croome Settlement School reflect the pioneering efforts of the St. Thomas Church congregation to provide for the religious and educational needs of local African-Americans during segregation.
Broad Creek Historic District
The Broad Creek National Register Historic District includes more than 455 acres that contain four designated Prince George’s County Historic Sites that date to the 18th century: Harmony Hall (c. 1769), Want Water Ruins (c. 1708), St. John’s Church (c. 1766-1768), and Piscataway House (c. 1750 and relocated c. 1932). The Broad Creek Historic District, Prince George’s County’s first county historic district, was designated by the Prince George’s County Council in July 1985.
Glenn Dale Tuberculosis Hospital & Sanatorium Historic District
The Glenn Dale Hospital property encompasses more than 200 acres that include a 60-acre campus of 21 buildings and 1500 acres of open space and woodland. Designed in the early 1930s by the Office of the Municipal Architect of the District of Columbia, the Georgian Revival style complex was originally intended for use as a tuberculosis sanatorium. From 1933 until 1959, the hospital provided state-of-the art care for tuberculosis; with the eradication of the disease by the mid-twentieth century, the hospital provided treatments for other chronic diseases from 1959 until it closed in January 1982. The property was sold to the M-NCPPC in March 1995.