Fishing is a great way to get outside and connect with nature. You can hear the wind move through the trees along a shoreline, feel the waves of the water beneath you, and smell the fresh air. In Prince George’s, there are plenty of gorgeous spots along the water to fish, but one of the most accessible and scenic locations for the activity is along the Patuxent River.
Use this itinerary to plan a fishing trip at Patuxent River Park in Jug Bay Natural Area:
- Book your stay. If you want to camp, the Jug Bay Natural Area, which is home to Patuxent River Park, offers tent camping for large groups — though you can certainly book a site for yourself or a smaller group. The locations are open year-round and have picnic tables, fire pits, and limited firewood.
If you prefer to stay in an RV or cabin, reserve a spot at Adventure Bound Washington, an RV Park and campground in Lothian. The resort has WiFi, a swimming pool, and easy access to the region’s natural spaces, including Jug Bay Natural Area.
If a hotel is more your style, book a room at Executive Inn & Suites in Upper Marlboro, which is just a short drive from Jug Bay at the Patuxent River. The rooms are equipped with comfortable beds, WiFi, and microwaves.
- Fuel your day. Start your morning at Mrs. K’s Motel and Restaurant in Upper Marlboro. Order massive breakfast platters, meat lover's breakfast sandwiches, and stacks of pancakes to ensure you have the energy for a long day on the water.
- Pack a lunch. Don’t sell yourself short when it comes to your meals while you’re fishing. Instead, pick up sandwiches from Porkey’s BBQ to eat on the boat or the pier. Try the rib sandwich, the chicken salad sandwich, or the porch chop sandwich.
- Borrow a boat. For those without their own boat, rentals are available at the Patuxent River Park on weekends and holidays. Make your reservation ahead of time to ensure a kayak or canoe is ready for you that morning.
- Get a history lesson. Take a break from fishing yourself to learn how people did it in the past. Visit the Patuxent Rural Life Museums in Upper Marlboro — and check out historic fishing practices at the Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Museum.
Take part in more outdoor adventures in Prince George’s.